Oak Park River Forest Museum is operated by The Historical Society of Oak Park and River Forest, a 501(c)3 organization founded for educational and charitable purposes. The purposes of the Society are as follows:
- To operate Oak Park River Forest Museum;
- To collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret the history of the villages of Oak Park, River Forest, and vicinity through the operation of an archive, research library, and museum;
- To disseminate and provide to the public access to such historical information;
- To assist in the designation and preservation of buildings, monuments, and other sites significant to the history of the area; and
- To inspire, engage, and educate the residents of and visitors to Oak Park, River Forest, and vicinity.